Self Portrait Propaganda Poster

 




For my Self Portrait Propaganda Poster project, I wanted to share my inspiration from the Polish women's movement against the Polish government. This movement symbolized by the red lighting bolt, focuses on empowering women, and their deserved rights. Specifically, this polish movement fights against the Polish government's anti-abortion law. I was inspired by the symbol of this movement, the red lighting bolt, as its red powerful imagery helps convey what the movement strives for. Similar to this movement's theme, I inserted the red lightning bolts in decreasing size in the background of the portrait. In the top center in bold white letters, it says "Empower Women"! To get this message across, I chose the font color to be white, so that it can pop against the dark background, catching the viewers' attention. In addition, I made the lips and the sweater bright red, to connect to this bold and empowering movement.

                                                             All-Poland Women's Strike - Wikipedia

I begun my self portrait my placing my original selfie image on the canvas. I immediately locked it, so that I would be able to replicate it with shapes and lines on top, without movement. I began with the face layer. I used the pen tool to trace the shape of my face from the original image. To add color to my face, I used the color dropper tool, to select the exact skin tone from my original selfie, and colored by pen tool face layer. Next, I moved onto the eyes, nose, eyebrows, and lips. The eyes were particularly tricky, as there were many shapes and lines that merged to create it! It was complex due to the countless number of individual eyelashes! Similar to my face trace, I used the pen tool to create the lips and the nose, and then used the color dropper tool to fill. After the face layer, I moved onto the hair. I used to pen tool to trace the exterior lines of my hair from the original image, and filled it with my exact brown hair color. To add texture to my hair, I used the paint brush tool to create blonde highlights. I then moved onto the clothing, where I used the pen tool to create the red sweater, and the black knee. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pixels: Somewhere

Autoscopy

InDesign: Business Card